This private 3-hour walking tour is designed for city walkers who are fond of off-the-beaten track routes. Your professional tour guide will lead you through deep alleys of old city neighborhood area, find you ancient carvings hidden behind hanging laundries, learn you the most original history and culture of Shanghai. The area you visit during the tour could be the oldest part of Shanghai, offering glimpse of ancient Chinese buildings that have survived through turbulent times and most likely will no longer exist within the next decade. If you are a history lover or want to know more about the old Shanghai memory, don’t miss out this opportunity while you are in town.
Shanghai is not just about colonial architectures. There are some rarely areas of old city behind the modern skyscrapers. This interesting walking tour will take you to visit the non-tourist sites where you might run into a street that full of “shanghai style pajamas” and an exiting Majiang game. The highlight of tour includes visits to one of the oldest private local houses and following places:
• The historical Fire Tower in old city, built in 1910.
• The Qiao Jia Street that used to be lived with all celebrities in town during Ming and Qing dynasty.
• The Catalpa Garden, built by a Chinese industrialist and artist in the early 20th century, the buildings inside are the combination of Chinese, Gothic, Greek and Japanese architecture, this garden was used to entertain Albert Einstein in 1922.
• The Secluded Library ( not opened to public but to you), it is the garden of a ship owner in past and home of one resident at present, inside the houses are dated back to Qing dynasty more than 300 years ago with fascinating original carvings still on windows, gates, column and ceiling.
• The Nine-Rooms-Buildings, former residence of Xu Guangqi, a remarkable Chinese scholar officials 500 years ago. He is the first translator to introduce Catholic religion, western mathematics and astronomy into China.
• Home quarter lanes, food market and Mahjong room, where you could discover the daily fun of Shanghainese through street cooking, laundry, shopping, preparing fish and crabs at market and real seriousness in Mahjong games.
• The Confucius Temple, built in 1368-1398, dedicated to worship Confucius (BC551-479) who was a great thinker, educator, and founder of the Confucianism in China, is the only ancient architectural complex in Central Shanghai and had been the top learning institution of Shanghai over a long time.Please note: The Confucius Temple is available for morning and afternoon tour. For the evening tour, you will pay a visit to Classical Shanghai House Museum.
After your tour is finished, your guide will assist you to arrange a taxi or utilize public transportation back to your hotel. Or you can choose to spend more time browsing around in the city.
Location: Eastern Asia » China » Shanghai Region » Shanghai Region
Commences: Shanghai, China
Duration: 180 to 210 minutes